Monday, May 21, 2012

Honey-sweetened Salmon fish is Not the best tasted desert, but healthy ingredients.

Not the best tasted food, but healthy ingredients.

When I am on low-calorie-healthy diet, eating sweetened salmon/fish is a good change for me.
Since on market there are not a lot, both healthy and sweet food; I like honey-sweetened salmon/fish.
I am not into foods with salty/sweet taste at all, but my healthy diet eliminates any table-sugar-cooked food, any fatty food, sometimes my diet is boring. I eat honey-sweetened-salmon as a desert in my diet. It tastes as if waffles. Maybe its taste is not as good as waffles sold on the stores, but my salmon recipe is healthier.
I do not eat the melted fat/oil/honey came out from Salmon/fish, but when cooked the fish still has enough healthy content.
-At first I boil salmon in salty water with some orange peel and honey about 5 minutes or more
-Then, take out the salmon into microwave plate which has orange/lemon peels
-Brush the tops of the salmon with honey
-Microwave to cook salmon till it is not burned, but all the excess fat is melted under the orange peels.
I use orange peels to give higher level to salmon/fish, so that the melted fat will not be absorbed with the fish again to increase its calories. When cooked, the fish together with the melted honey releases any excess fat, the remained fish is dry, excess-fat-free, sweet fish. To prevent the fish from reabsorbing the fat from the cooker plate, I move fish to a new plate and add some honey just before I eat, this time I do not cook the honey.
This recipe is for maintaining weight rather than weight loosing diet.
Its calories maybe not low, but it is worth to eat it for its healthy ingredients.


I also eat the grey skin and the skin fat of salmon, salmon skin is rich in phosphor and I believe the grey colored skin is good to digestive system skin barrier. The fat tissue just under the skin has different fat structure, it helps to have younger under skin fat.
Honey-salmon is not the lowest calorie food, but I always spare my calculated-diet-calories for it because it is healthy. Even eating such a salmon meal does not increase my total fat intake, because in my any other meals I never use any oil/fat, so that my body takes only very healthy fish sources for any requirement. The same day I also eat fruits, fat-free vegetables, lean red meat, nuts such as almonds.
I do not eat too big, too old salmons. Anyway, fishes are almost always young by their nature.
My ancestors are from sea-side cities, they are famous with their usage of fish in any meal. I used their recipes as a source.

My main point in cooking fish or any fatty food is that I am cooking it so that I take out any excess fat as melted fluid to dump/eliminate. I do not have many cookers, cooking tools in my house, because I do not have much time to spare for cooking. I have a small microwave, thus by layering the fish over orange peels I am doing a different style, maybe similar to broiling, or grilling. Whatever called, grilling/broiling; this style of mine is to melt away excess fat.
When boiled, the excess fat stays with fish giving more calories,
thus boiling is only my first step to clean fish, whereas microwave oven and honey helps to separate/melt away the excess fat from cooked fish.

When I am on very low-calorie diet, I cook salmon similarly but instead of honey and orange peels,
I use onion and tomatoes.
I boil salmon in salty water,
then take out from boiling pan,
put onion slices in a microwave plate, on top of onions insert salmon,
over all salmon surfaces insert tomato slices,
put in microwave to cook till not to burn it but to melt away all excess fat with melted tomato juice.
Since tomato and onion I used during cooking absorbs all the fat, I do not eat this tomato and onion, I toss them.
When fish is ready I eat it with freshly prepared sliced onions, lemon juice.
Calorie value is approximately:
100 gr salmon= 450 calories
but after all melted fat it is very possible that 100 gr broiled salmon even has 320 or less calories.
If I have time I will do some work to find out the exact calories in this recipe.
If I do not have the exact calories for a healthy food; when I do daily Total Allowed Calorie Intake calculations, rather than the possible least calorie value, I consider that the meal has the highest calories.
I am also very good to approximate the calorie in any unknown food, if I only I know the water, protein, carbohydrate, and fat amount in any food.
I dry out the water from any food to learn its water per cent.
Any 1 gram food will give at most 9 calories, but most foods are always a composit of water, protein and carbohydrates. In nature there is not such foods that has such high fat (1gram=9 calories). Only some processed fat/oil sources, for example, vegetable oil/olive oil, processed saturated fat etc. will have that high amount of calories. My healthy diet eliminates any processed fat/oil.

Honey-sweetened-Salmon is my afternoon desert today.
What I have eaten for a whole day are below:
Breakfast:
3 peaches,

1 orange,
Cucumber, raw Green Pepper, raw cherry tomato, onion salad (About 500 gr)
Hot black tea.

One small cup fat-free milk
In the afternoon:

Aubergine, green beans, cabbage, green peppers, onion, garlic, tomato microwave cooked. (The wet weight of the vegetables is about 750 gr or more).
Lean fat-free calf red meat boiled, grilled, or cooked in microwave oven with garlic, onion (wet weight 500gr)
Honey sweetened salmon fish (wet weight 300gr)

Hot black tea.
1 apple

Evening:
Aubergine, green beans, cabbage, green peppers, onion, garlic, tomato microwave cooked. (The wet weight of the vegetables is about 750 gr or more).
Cucumber, or celery (about 250 gr)
Mineral water.
Handful nuts.


If between meals one feels hungry then is allowed to eat cooked vegetables. Or is free to eat noon meal just 30 minutes after breakfast. Skipping breakfast is not a good habit.
Eating fruit and cooked vegetable before meat/fish helps to keep stomach healthy.
Skipping meat/protein meal never allowed. All spice/herbs such as mint are vegetables and suggested as a different taste. Any zero calorie food such as water is allowed at desired amount, I drink at least 10 cups of many types of tea a day. Or drink bottles of mineral water. When I was young I used to drink bottles of high quality diet coke, but in this east europe country diet cokes are not original fresh, not healthy. This country has good natural Mineral Water sources; many brands are in good quality.

Above example healthy daily menu is good to maintain or lose weight. I change the vegetables, fish and fruits with seasons.
If on a strict weight loosing diet, I eat fish without honey; cooked only with onions, tomato.
To decrease calories I omit nuts.
Compared to any weight losing diet, my diet have more
fresh vegetables (classified under carbohydrates)
more red meat, fish (classified under protein).

There is not any vegetable oil/fat, any table-sugar, any flour/bread.
I have repeated/eaten this daily menu for entire month or for many months.
Most of my time was on computer. I walked at least 45 minutes each day and I slightly lost weight.
I never have any intention to lose weight more than 2 kg a month, fast weight losing is unhealthy.
I am below 50 kg, a small female, and not very young.
Although I reached to this daily menu after many detailed nutritional calorie/vitamins/cofactor calculations, in this blog I tried not to write too much calculations, and give a simple and
healthy diet menu. Although my original diet menu is longer with detailed foods and exercise calories as a computerized program;
in this post I also tried to exemplify my working healthy diet only as a repeatable single-day.
This menu also gives fibers as suggested by any healthy diet program. The fiber is rather in the vegetables and freshly cooked/taken with all beneficial cofactors.

I like variety of small white meat fishes, but Somon is easy to cook in microwave, and fits with sweet honey good.    

White Turbot Fish Meat









My favorite fish is Turbot (Psetta maxima maeotica ),
a tasty and naturally lean fish; it has white meat, but it is almost extinct now, or too expensive to eat.





Figure shows the flat fish with white meat , Turbot (Psetta maxima maeotica ),








I use below approximate values(standards/scales) for my diet program calorie calculations.

Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories
Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories
Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories
Alcohol: 1 gram = 7 calories
Water: 1 gram= 0 calories


THE GIST of this POST are:
1. Fish is healthy food to eat even when on strict weight loosing diets.
2. Fish can be cooked to eat as a sweet food for sweet taste desires during weight loosing.
Most low calorie diets forgets the needs of a healthy body, and lowers the body resistance against diseases, Fish, honey are healthier foods. When calories are restricted to lose weight, healthy foods should be preferred over the same-calorie but unhealthy food.
3. Excess fat in fish is not healthy, should be melted away by some cooking styles.
Boiling Salmon is not the best method to eliminate excess fat in Salmon
5. Any simple microwave oven will be enough to cook  good fish meal.


P.S: Between all recent kitchen technologies, my favorite is Microwave oven.
Maybe it is not the best tool for a cooker to serve 10 people or more, but microwave oven is a key to my weight losing or weight maintaining diets (I do not cook for any other person, I cook only my fat-free diet foods). Without microwave it is not possible to cook foods as I like. I hardly have any time for cooking, microwave oven gives best results for my any fat-free diet food. Fat-free Aubergine could not be cooked tasty without microwave so fast, so easily in my small kitchen.
Eating  fat-free vegetables is the key to my low-calorie-diet.
Cleaning the ceil of microwave was a big problem for me in the past, my currrent microwave has a stand as seen in the photo, so that the oven Ceil is protected from food steam etc. by a plate inserted over food plate. The dirty steam would drip over cooking food, a big problem. The food plate stays under the stand under the clean plate(shown as blue) now. I like microwave oven.

http://humantranslator.blogspot.com/2012/01/water-per-cent-and-calories-in-foods.html
http://humantranslator.blogspot.com/2012/01/healthy-balance-for-people-trying-to.html

Pages